Review: Kingbird Highway: The Biggest Year in the Life of an Extreme Birder

Kingbird Highway: The Biggest Year in the Life of an Extreme Birder Kingbird Highway: The Biggest Year in the Life of an Extreme Birder by Kenn Kaufman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Now I know why this book is a classic in the birding world! Chronicle of Kenn's 1973 Big Year (and put into book form 30 years later). In addition to all the birds and birders referenced, Kaufman's experiences mirror my own from the 1970s, in so many ways, e.g. from finding out about California's "under 18" law, to crossing the Canadian border as a 19-year-old longhair with little money, to our 1978 birding quest that took my partner and me to many of the "hotspots" mentioned in the book. This is one of those that I wished I had read earlier!!! (Just noted on my Goodreads that I had added it to my "to read" pile in 2015! At least I got it read in the same decade, just barely.)

View all my reviews

Comments

Amy said…
I read this recently - great book!