Review: Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life

Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life by Beth Kempton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

An interesting and provocative read. Example quote - "Wabi sabi is an intuitive response to beauty that reflects the true nature of life. Wabi sabi is an acceptance and appreciation of the impermanent, imperfect, and incomplete nature of everything. Wabi sabi is a recognition of the gifts of simple, slow, and natural living." This book was recommended for me through my local library's ebook interface, and I added it to my holds list, knowing it would be awhile as it was clearly in demand. When it came around I was able to finish it over the course of a few days, taking a chapter or two at a time. While I thought I knew a bit about Japanese culture, I had never encountered "wabi sabi" and I discovered that each word ("wabi" and "sabi") has its own meaning in the Japanese language. However, taken together, the phrase means something related but subtly different, something that people in the culture understand but rarely if ever speak of. Fascinating and inspiring!

View all my reviews

Comments