The Rocketbook Wave Notebook

The notebooks from the future 
I commented in a post a couple weeks back about my personal e-reading and writing habits. In a play on Back-to-school and inspired by an NPR story, "Two of the Three R's..." I reviewed my latest note-taking preferences, including the Rocketbook Wave notebook, which I had received as a gift over the summer.

I had a great theme for a full blog post recounting some of my experiences with Rocketbook Wave. But after continued and varied experiences I have decided to save that theme for a later post, with some notes here to start the ball rolling on a multi-post series.

Pilot's webpage displays FriXion brand pens in all shapes and sizes

The erasable notebook's secrets to success seem to start with the (included) Pilot FriXion pen. I find I am reminded (maybe too much) of the old "magic behind the LaserJet" spiel, where the story begins with the toner cartridge (and the same could be said of story behind HP's inkjet cartridges). As far as Pilot writing instruments, I remember my awareness of the company going back to pre-HP and pre-LaserJet days, in my first "real" job in 1976. Some fellow employees in the office were pen/pencil freaks (there are a lot of them out there), who were going nuts over Pilot mechanical pencils. Reading the company's fascinating history on their website, their founding in Japan in 1918 was followed much later by a US-based entity established in 1972, meaning I was getting the word not too long after this.

With my first FriXion giving up the ghost, a trip to Target offered a few FriXion choices - I settled on this variety pack.
More research (coming) is needed to determine the history of the FriXion pen, but its overall claim to fame, outside its association with the Rocketbook, and as seen in the screenshot above, is its erasability. Remembering back to the "erasable pens" of my youth, which included a grit-filled eraser that obliterated not only the ink but a layer of the paper (substrate in the jargon), the FriXion has a friction/heat relationship that interacts with the ink. Which leads to a reminder of the "invisible ink" of my childhood, but now we are heading for a real rathole!

I can't wait to learn and experiment a bit more, in preparation for another blog post, which will be coming soon!
The back of the package led to some interesting insights as well as questions.

Comments