Nexus 7 Printing - You've Come a Long Way!


As I've prepared for the upcoming Business Imaging Expo and my seminar on mobile printing, I have enjoyed the opportunity to survey the state of the industry. My work in this market space, over time, has allowed me to observe the evolving relationship between mobile devices (and their users) and printing and imaging.

One area I will highlight next week is the developments in printing from Google's Android OS. As the recent screenshot (see above) shows (via one of my Nexus 7 tablet computers), the new KitKat version (Android 4.4) offers not one but two integrated print options, one for printing to Google Cloud Print and one for printing to HP ePrint printers. I have now put these options to the test, and will be reporting on them next week (in person) as well as via expanded blog posts.

My original "Nexus 7 Printing" post, appearing here last July,  reported on my printing experiences with the first generation of the Asus/Google tablet, and its reliance on third-party apps. So the built-in printing featured in KitKat represents significant progress, both from Google as well as HP, again in the lead position with a significant mobile printing opportunity.

I am very much looking forward to next week at the Business Imaging Expo, to discuss the state of Android-based printing, along with so much more, and of course, look forward to further developments in the mobile printing world in 2014 and beyond!


Comments