The joy of printers!


I've been avoiding these hands-on posts for awhile, and when I do one, I generally try to stay clear of HP products and solutions (emphasis on try). Regular readers know I'm an HP (NYSE HPQ) alum (1981-2005), and as an analyst/writer covering the printer industry for The Hard Copy Observer, I can't get around covering the leader, Hewlett Packard. But even then, I tend to stick to covering things from the big-picture, business-strategy standpoint.

But...I have to report some rather joyful printer experiences I have had just recently. I purchased an Officejet Pro 8000 at a ridiculously (at least to me) low price from Newegg.com, plugged it right into my home LAN (Ethernet), and have been happily printing away -- reports, articles, papers -- ever since. And the ink monitor (via the printer's web page) shows miserly amounts of those precious liquids having been spilled, after several hundred pages of documents and photos. Everything has worked flawlessly, I am so pleased to report!

And while the printer itself doesn't feature WiFi, like so many HP's do these days (see "HP is wild about wireless"), my Apple iPhone picked up its presence immediately, using HP's iPrint Photo (v 1.0.3) (see "iPhone Printing boom"). I'm now even using my iPhone as a photo print server/director, of sorts, moving photos from other sources to the phone, and then to the photo printer.

And by the way, in the recently more sensitive full-disclosure department (see "FTC Publishes Final Guides Governing Endorsements, Testimonials -- Changes Affect Testimonial Advertisements, Bloggers, Celebrity Endorsements"), all the products mentioned here were either paid for, by me, or offered free.

Comments