File Formats -- The important thing about Google Office?

I posted yesterday about the possibility that the Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) and Adobe Systems (NASDAQ: ADBE) battle over PDF and XPS might be missing the bigger picture, and Ken Fisher of ARSTechnica takes this argument in a slightly different but very interesting direction.

I've been playing with the Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) spreadsheet today, and it's very impressive as a SIMPLE spreadsheet creation tool. Collaboration is the key to its power, but a mid-level number cruncher like me could never give up even the handful of advanced Excel tools that I use. I'm also running the beta versions of the MS Office suite (2007) and they (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) are each impressive in their own ways, but require quite a learning curve at least for this Office 2003 "old dog".

Comments